Sunday, October 10, 2010

Perfect

Scratched out on notes form yesterday . . . Beautiful day! The sun is slowly setting and casting golden light upon the autumn colored trees. I'm currently finishing off a glass of Ephraim, which is one of the best beers I have ever had. Surely the best double IPA I have ever tasted. So smooth, 280 IBU and packed with citrus. This is amazing stuff and I still have half a growler left. Awesome.


The wind is carelessly blowing through the trees while I pull down the slow burn of a Cuban Romeo & Juliet. The smoke is filled with vanilla and tobacco. A good smoke to wind down the day with. Earlier, Jen and I had been climbing apple trees at Poverty Lane. We picked a few Cortlands while Ben scavenged the ground for fallen fruit. Jen currently has some apple crisp baking away in the oven and Ben is now on the hunt for acorns. I don't think a person gets too many days that are as perfect as this in their lifetime. Truly a great day to be alive.



A few more puffs of the R & J and I can feel the edge coming off of Ephraim, leaving me with only sweet pine citrus. Excellent. The smoke itself is still filled with vanilla, but seems to be picking up some dark fruits as well, mixed with wood. Kobe and Madden (Mayo's dogs) are having a good wrestle among the leaves. Madden's tail is quivering in the air as he tries to engage Kobe in another romp around the yard. The R & J is adding a bit of pepper to the smoke now. The warmth is nice against the cold autumn air. I currently have my dark blue flannel on, buttoned up about as far as it will go. The popped collar fights a cool breeze.



Ben has come back form his acorn hunt and now is interested in the last drops of Ephraim. I've never known another dog that was as interested in beer as Ben. Funny dog. I can smell the apple crisp now and see Jen putting together a homemade pepperoni pizza through the window. All is good.

The leaves on the trees are beautiful and the sun is low enough now that the golden light has faded. Shadows are casting and the breeze continues. A flock of geese call in the distance. Jen is calling me to come in for dinner as I walk past the mums with their golden yellow centers and fiery orange edges. Our lone pumpkin sits with deep orange, surrounded by fallen leaves, as I open the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment